- A form of Hindustani written in Persian script, with many loanwords from Persian and Arabic. It is an official language of Pakistan and is widely used in India and elsewhere.More example sentences
- He saw old manuscripts and spoke about similarities of Urdu, Arabic and Persian.
- The proof of the popularity of Urdu in North India is in the sale of Urdu verse in Hindi script.
- Similar books had been written in Arabic and Urdu, but this was the first of its kind in English.
from Persian (zabān-i-)urdū '(language of the) camp' (because it developed after the Muslim invasions as a lingua franca between the occupying armies and the local people of the region around Delhi), urdū being from Turkic ordu (see horde).
More definitions of UrduDefinition of Urdu in:
- The British & World English dictionary