- 1Of or relating to the United States: the Usonian cityMore example sentences
- Only in freedom can we build the Usonian city.
- 1.1Relating to or denoting the style of buildings designed in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright, characterized by inexpensive construction and flat roofs.More example sentences
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses are of a scale that you can live in.
- This descendant of Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses became ubiquitous across the post World War II landscape, and architects adore its open, one-story plan.
- Although Wright later designed several Usonian buildings in Ohio, the Westcott House in Springfield is his only prairie-style house in the state.
nounBack to top
- 1A native or inhabitant of the United States.More example sentences
- She is one of the second generation Usonians who moved back with her own family eight years ago.
- Forty per cent of Usonians speak Spanish as a native language, not to mention the many who speak it as a second language.
- Well, as a Usonian, I don't recognize 0 as an age.
- 1.1A house built in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright.More example sentences
- The Penfield House was built in 1955 for $25,000 and is one of Wright's ‘Usonians.’
- In contrast to other common styles of the time, Wright's Usonians were easily recognizable.
- When referring to low cost Usonians you really have to focus on the late 1930s. Labor was cheap then and elaborate craftsmanship easily affordable.
early 20th century: an acronym from United States + -onian after Amazonian, Devonian, etc..
More definitions of UsonianDefinition of Usonian in:
- The British & World English dictionary