Aeronautics , • informal
verb[no object] Back to top
- (Of a vertical takeoff aircraft) change direction by altering the thrust of the aircraft’s jet engines.More example sentences
- Harrier pilots do use the nozzles in air combat but I don't think to the extent viffing requires.
- Plaguewyrm 1 viffed to the right, underbelly thrusters bringing it in line to the Thunderbolt it was tailing.
- We use viffing, but it's more of a last-ditch than a standard manoeuvre.
1970s: acronym from vectoring in forward flight.
More definitions of VIFFDefinition of VIFF in:
- The British & World English dictionary