Definition of Venus's girdle in English:
A large, almost transparent comb jelly with a flattened ribbonlike body, living chiefly in warmer seas.
- Genus Cestum, phylum Ctenophora
- Many comb jellies are round, like small grapes, but the Venus's girdle is very long and flat, and looks like a belt.
- He was mesmerized by a Venus's girdle, a diaphanous bit of jelly sparking tiny rainbows amid its vibrating rows of cilia.
- Approximately 2 to 5 inches wide, warty comb jellies range from Florida through the West Indies and are also known as sea gooseberries or Venus's girdles.
Definition of Venus's girdle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan