(also Venus's flytrap)
Definition of Venus flytrap in English:
A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects that land on them. Native to the southeastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
- Dionaea muscipula, family Droseraceae
- Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.
- In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.
- Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.
Definition of Venus flytrap in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.