(also Venus's flytrap)
- A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects that land on them. Native to the southeastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
More example sentences
- Dionaea muscipula, family Droseraceae
- Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.
- In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.
- Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.
More definitions of Venus flytrapDefinition of Venus flytrap in:
- The British & World English dictionary