- A state in the northeastern US, on the border with Canada, one of the six New England States; population 621,270 (est. 2008); capital, Montpelier; statehood, Mar. 4, 1791 (14). Explored and settled by the French during the 1600s and 1700s, it became an independent republic in 1777 until it was admitted as a US state.
- More example sentences
- As a result of his big spending, Vermonters work longer to pay for their state government than any other Americans.
- I am heart and soul a Vermonter, so I'll thank you to stop saying that you are speaking for ‘true Vermonters.’
- I happen to like feisty political personalities with regional color whether they are flinty Vermonters or silky Mississipians.
More definitions of VermontDefinition of Vermont in:
- The British & World English dictionary