- The capital of Austria, in the northeastern part of the country on the Danube River; population 1,661,206 (2006). From 1278 to 1918 it was the seat of the Habsburgs and has long been a center of the arts, especially music. Mozart, Beethoven, and the Strauss family were among the composers who lived and worked there. German name Wien.
- More example sentences
- That year he had considered leaving Vienna for a secure post in Germany, but three Viennese noblemen had united to provide him with a steady income and he stayed.
- In this context there's not a lot about the re-use of old buildings, beyond a handful of museums and some striking Viennese gasometers turned into chic if noisy flats.
- Liszt turned to me. ‘You are Viennese, will you give us that pleasure?’
Pronunciation: /ˌvēəˈnēz, -ˈnēs/adjective & noun
More definitions of ViennaDefinition of Vienna in:
- The British & World English dictionary