- Carl arrived home early on Wednesday morning for a tearful reunion with Kim on the doorstep.
- On Wednesday evening last week that seemed like only the remotest of possibilities.
- Talks between union leaders and employers will take place on Wednesday and Thursday.
adverbchiefly North American Back to top
- When my team arrived Wednesday we had to fight with everyone to get a boat in the water.
- Were you there Wednesday?
- The Leisure League will play Wednesdays from 6:00-7:30 p.m., June 18-July 23, at the high school.
- We play Wednesdays and Sundays at 7:00pm.
- I am there Wednesdays and Fridays.
Old English Wōdnesdæg 'day of Odin', named after the Germanic god Odin or Woden, the supreme god; translation of late Latin Mercurii dies, Odin being equated with the Roman god Mercury. Compare with Dutch woensdag.
The days of the week in ancient Rome were named after the planets, which in turn were named after gods. In most cases the Germanic names substituted the name of a comparable Germanic god for the Roman god’s name
Definition of Wednesday in:
- The British & World English dictionary