Definition of West Indian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of any of the islands of the West Indies.
- The panel included voters from every Test nation, still their final choice of five came from only three teams - two Australians, two West Indians and an Englishman.
- Many black Africans and West Indians found employment on British vessels as personal servants or more often in the formal role of cooks or stewards.
- These fundamentally contrasting images and generalisations about Asians and West Indians are not hidden away in private conversations, to be teased out through subtle research.
1.1A person of West Indian descent.
- English is the first language of some of the Blacks who are descended from West Indians.
- Since the 1960s, immigrant Asians and West Indians have lacked confidence in the British Government's capacity to deal with them justly.
- He highlights the contribution which British West Indians have made to the development of modern Costa Rica.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the West Indies or its people.
- It reflects a moment in which Jamaican pop music was synthesising Black R&B and West Indian mento music.
- The beat of very loud West Indian music could be heard emanating from the house, and he had to wait some time for an answer.
- Well, I kind of grew up around West Indian music because of the area where I lived.
Definition of West Indian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan