- A flavivirus of African origin that can be spread to humans and other mammals via mosquitoes, causing encephalitis and flulike symptoms, with some fatalities.More example sentences
- Humans typically acquire West Nile virus through a bite from an infected adult mosquito.
- Birds are the main carriers of the West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes acquire West Nile virus from birds and pass it on to other birds, animals and people.
More definitions of West Nile virusDefinition of West Nile virus in:
- The British & World English dictionary