- A former province of northwestern Germany. German name Westfalen.
- More example sentences
- And the Congress of Vienna was chaired and run by the representative of the Austrian Kaiser, the highly-reactionary Prince Metternich (who was himself a Westphalian, curiously enough).
- Charles Hallé, a Westphalian who moved to Paris and came to England in 1848, founded an orchestra for the Manchester Exhibition of 1857 and kept it intact for a series of concerts launched at his own risk the following year.
- Meanwhile, plans are back on track for a museum honoring the achievements of the masterly Informel painter Emil Schumacher, to be located in Hagen, the nondescript Westphalian city of his birth.
More definitions of WestphaliaDefinition of Westphalia in:
- The British & World English dictionary