- (In humans and other mammals) a sex chromosome, two of which are normally present in female cells (designated XX) and only one in male cells (designated XY). Compare with Y chromosome.More example sentences
- In most species males carry a single X chromosome and two autosomes, while females have two copies of both.
- In contrast to the autosomes, recombination of the X chromosome occurs only in females.
- The largest cluster of imprinted genes in humans is the X chromosome.
More definitions of X chromosomeDefinition of X chromosome in:
- The British & World English dictionary