- 1A Sioux people now living in the Dakotas and eastern Montana, formerly living in northern Minnesota.More example sentences
- Oscar Howe, a Dakota Indian of the Yanktonais tribe, was born at Joe Creek on the Crow Creek Reservation of South Dakota to George Tikute Howe and Ella Fearless Bear.
- Badgered by the Yanktonai into warfare with Upper Assiniboine bands, Standing Buffalo was killed in 1871; a portion of his followers migrated on into Canada, while some stayed among the Assiniboine.
- Both these references would seem to apply as well to the Yanktonai as to the Yankton; it is probable that both are referred to under one general name.
- 1.1A member of the Yanktonai.More example sentences
- Many of the plum names reflect the heritage of the Great Plains: for example, ‘Waneta,’ after a Yanktonai Sioux leader.
- Some folks up there are Yanktonais and they speak the D-dialect.
- Today Nakota is spoken almost exclusively by the Assiniboins, and most Yankton and Yanktonais speak Dakota.