- 1.1The citadel of ancient Jerusalem.More example sentences
- A telling aspect of such an argument is the fact that the entire Chapter 54 of Isaiah is addressed to Jerusalem / Zion.
- Nevertheless David took the castle of Zion, which is the city of David.
- 1.3(In Christian thought) the heavenly city or kingdom of heaven.More example sentences
- The theme then, is the fear of freedom - that maybe Nirvana / Mecca / Heaven / Zion isn't that great.
- Twenty-three years after Marley went home to Zion, he still is heralded by many as a voice for the sufferers, for the poor, for those maligned by the majority.
- It was the dull glazed look that tells you being a cashier is not a stepping stone across the river of life to Zion on the other shore; she will be a cashier in one form or another forever.
- 1.4The Jewish people or religion.More example sentences
- A major personality among the Hovevi Zion was Judah Leob Pinsker.
- 1.5The Christian Church.More example sentences
- In the New Testament, Zion represents the Church.
Old English, from ecclesiastical Latin Sion, from Hebrew ṣīyōn.
More definitions of ZionDefinition of Zion in:
- The British & World English dictionary