Definition of Zoantharia in English:
A group of coelenterates with polyps that bear more than eight tentacles, including the sea anemones and stony corals.
- Subclass Zoantharia, class Anthozoa
- The Zoantharia includes the ‘true’ corals and most sea anemones, and it is by far the best represented in the fossil record.
- Sometimes the subclass Zoantharia is used instead, in which case hexacorals are included with Rugose corals and Horny Corals (Cerantipitharia).
- The main anthozoan subclass, which includes the corals, is the Zoantharia.
zoantharian noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Chaetodon capistratus is a browser who feeds on anthozoans preferring hexacoral such as scleractinians, anemones, and zoantharians.
- Specimens of Aeolidiopsis ransoni are found living on colonial zoantharians of the genus Palythoa.
- Of particular interest in this volume is the review of Sympagurus hermit crabs, some of which live in symbiosis with sea-anemones or zoantharians than can produce pseudo-shells.
Definition of Zoantharia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan