Definition of Zulu in English:
- But once again, neither the Zulus nor the Plains Indians had artillery.
- Wars against the Zulus in South Africa or against the Chinese in Indo-China seemed to be merely a waste of money and troops, with no clear European pay-off.
- The Ndebeles consider themselves part of the Zulu nation and would ideally like to break away and form a new country with the Zulus in South Africa.
- Google's pages are available in dozens of languages (including Zulu, Xhosa, Esperanto, Klingon, and Pig Latin).
- One year I had a class of very diverse cultures with some children speaking Xhosa, Zulu, Tswane, Afrikaans and even French.
- This is the opposite of the increasing standardization of the languages of Xhosa and Zulu, which occurred through missionary activity and later state controls.
adjectiveBack to top
The Zulus formed a powerful military empire in southern Africa during the 19th century before being defeated in a series of engagements with white Afrikaner and British settlers. Some Zulus still live under the traditional clan system in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, but many now work in the cities
- And there is Yesterday, the first-ever feature shot entirely in the Zulu language.
- Raised among the wives of King Cetshwayo, she had a detailed knowledge of Zulu history and customs at the royal court.
- He said: ‘We had a magnificent welcome of drum majorettes, gospel singing and Zulu dancing.’
From the stem of Zulu umZulu (plural amaZulu).
Words that rhyme with ZuluHonolulu, KwaZulu, lulu
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.