Definition of abbreviation in English:
1A shortened form of a word or phrase.
- Electronic records also contained significantly more words, abbreviations, and symbols.
- Doctors and nurses worked rapidly around her speaking in clipped phrases and abbreviations.
- It's generally accepted that you can use acronyms and abbreviations without explanation, where the term is well known by the audience.
1.1The process or result of abbreviating.
- What are the consequences of that abbreviation of this story on the democratic process?
- The device of dialogue allows abbreviation of statements without loss of clarity.
- They have exploited this radical abbreviation of focal length to develop a prototype of a credit-card-thin camera.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan