Definition of abbreviation in English:
1A shortened form of a word or phrase.
- Electronic records also contained significantly more words, abbreviations, and symbols.
- Doctors and nurses worked rapidly around her speaking in clipped phrases and abbreviations.
- It's generally accepted that you can use acronyms and abbreviations without explanation, where the term is well known by the audience.
1.1The process or result of abbreviating.
- What are the consequences of that abbreviation of this story on the democratic process?
- The device of dialogue allows abbreviation of statements without loss of clarity.
- They have exploited this radical abbreviation of focal length to develop a prototype of a credit-card-thin camera.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.