- Which king abdicated from the British throne in 1936?
- Following this the proud king abdicated his throne to his son Anandapala and committed suicide by climbing onto his own funeral pyre.
- If the Tsar had abdicated, what would happen to us?
- It is Council responsibility to do recycling and we're abdicating our responsibility.
- Governments around the world are abdicating their responsibilities to protect the natural resources in their territory, giving authority away to the private companies involved in resource exploitation.
- What is startling about this statement is the degree to which this mayor is simply abdicating responsibility for governing the city.
Mid 16th century: from Latin abdicat- 'renounced', from the verb abdicare, from ab- 'away, from' + dicare 'declare'.
This is from Latin abdicare ‘to renounce’ from ab- ‘away, from’ and dicare ‘declare’. Examples of the sense ‘give up sovereignty’ date from the early 18th century.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.