- 1An act of abdicating or renouncing the throne: Edward VIII did not marry until after his abdicationMore example sentences
- The conference at Abernethy ended in the abdication of Constantin.
- His death was followed 11 months later by King Edward VIII's abdication.
- Meanwhile, Russia's problems did not disappear with the abdication.
- 2Failure to fulfill a responsibility or duty: we are witnessing an abdication of responsibility on the part of state governmentsMore example sentences
- Spoiling your ballot paper (s) today is an abdication of personal responsibility.
- Garrow offers three basic reasons why he thinks Justice Blackmun is guilty of "a scandalous abdication of judicial responsibility."
- Or there may be a tendency to place too much faith in Fate, which leads to an abdication of personal responsibility.