Definition of abdomen in English:
1The part of the body of a vertebrate containing the digestive organs; the belly. In humans and other mammals, it is bounded by the diaphragm and the pelvis.
- It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.
- This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.
- A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.
1.1 Zoology The posterior part of the body of an arthropod, especially the segments of an insect’s body behind the thorax.
- It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.
- When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.
- Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.
Mid 16th century: from Latin.
Words that rhyme with abdomenOmdurman
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.