Definition of abdomen in English:
1The part of the body of a vertebrate containing the digestive organs; the belly. In humans and other mammals, it is bounded by the diaphragm and the pelvis.
- It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.
- This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.
- A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.
1.1 Zoology The posterior part of the body of an arthropod, especially the segments of an insect’s body behind the thorax.
- It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.
- When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.
- Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.
mid 16th century: from Latin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia