- (Of a group) having members related by a commutative operation (e.g., a×b = b×a).More example sentences
- In 1925 he proved the Krull-Schmidt theorem for decomposing abelian groups of operators.
- He does provide an example of the decomposition of an abelian group into cosets of a subgroup.
- In the same year he generalised von Neumann's spectral theorem to locally compact abelian groups.
mid 19th century: named after N. H. Abel (see Abel, Niels Henrik).
More definitions of abelianDefinition of abelian in:
- The British & World English dictionary