1Physical rather than biological; not derived from living organisms.
- Water is obviously a crucial and highly variable abiotic factor for every living organism.
- This is distinct from the notion of selection deriving from pressures exerted by the biotic and abiotic environment inhabited by the organism.
- For insects on plants, demes may evolve in response to local abiotic features, rather than to the natal host plant.
1.1Devoid of life; sterile.
- We know certain principles, which can be proven experimentally, to be universal, from the standpoint of the assumption that the universe was abiotic - not a living universe.
- There is no reason to declare that Mars has been abiotic throughout its history.
- As you know, the planet was originally considered to be abiotic, by some people.
Words that rhyme with abioticamniotic, antibiotic, chaotic, demotic, despotic, erotic, exotic, homoerotic, hypnotic, idiotic, macrobiotic, meiotic, narcotic, neurotic, osmotic, patriotic, prebiotic, psychotic, quixotic, robotic, sclerotic, semiotic, symbiotic, zygotic, zymotic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of abiotic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.