- Our daily lives are being planned around when we can perform our ablutions and eat; an army-style shower is now becoming our treat du jour.
- On the wires overhead a cheerful community of young swallows were chattering and performing their evening ablutions, stretching one wing out at a time, as far as it would reach, and preening the feathers.
- When he works in Hampshire, he has to get out of bed at 0530, perform the necessary ablutions, down a coffee and leave the house at 0600.
- She would have been down there taking a ceremonial ablution and praying to the river god Hapi, who was also the god of fertility.
- He may practice Divine knowledge, meditation, pilgrimages, and ablutions.
- He applied sandal paste on his forehead and wore the sacred thread across his body and was rigorous in the ablutions before prayers.
- Example sentences
- The tombs stand on the same platform as a white mosque and virtually in its forecourt, separated from it only by the obligatory ablutionary pond reflecting both the tombs and the mosque.
- This invention concerns water outlets such as shower heads and water spouts for ablutionary devices or appliances.
- On the wedding morning, various ablutionary rituals are performed on both the bride and the groom in their own homes.
Late Middle English: from Latin ablutio(n-), from abluere, from ab- 'away' + luere 'wash'. The original use was as a term in chemistry and alchemy meaning 'purification by using liquids', hence 'purification of the body by washing' (mid 16th century).
Words that rhyme with ablutionabsolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
Definition of ablution in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.