Definition of abnormal in English:
Deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying: the illness is recognizable from the patient’s abnormal behavior
More example sentences
- Every episode marked him, though there is no evidence of any abnormal behaviour.
- His life has been so abnormal it is no surprise that he has such unusual views.
- The boy told the court his behaviour had been abnormal and not the sort of thing he wanted to do in the future.
unusual, uncommon, atypical, untypical, nontypical, unrepresentative, rare, isolated, irregular, anomalous, deviant, divergent, aberrant, freak, freakish;
unexpected, unfamiliar, unconventional, surprising, unorthodox, singular, exceptional, extraordinary, out of the ordinary, out of the way;
unnatural, perverse, perverted, twisted, warped, unhealthy, distorted
- Example sentences
- When they function abnormally it appears to help cancer cells to grow.
- Drought is a prolonged, abnormally dry period when there is not enough water to meet normal or expected needs.
- These are people who are abnormally short for their age and have body weights below what is consistent with health.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India