Definition of aboriginal in English:
1(Of human races, animals, and plants) inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.
- Around the world, 70 percent of uranium deposits are located on aboriginal land.
- As a territory born out of the desire for an aboriginal land claims agreement, we are governed as a public government.
- The site will be arranged to evoke the lands where the eleven aboriginal nations in Quebec live.
1.1 (Aboriginal) Of or relating to the Australian Aborigines or their languages.
- Then, I realised the guests were not Indians, but rather Aboriginal Australians.
- Alice Moyle was present at the births of the new discipline of ethnomusicology and the new field of Australian Aboriginal music.
- A quiet, deep pathos surrounds the story of each Aboriginal language in its individual encounter with the modern world.
nounBack to top
1An aboriginal inhabitant of a place.
- Using the aboriginals ' own oral histories, the developer proved that the site had been designated sacred only within the past 10 years.
- Use aboriginals (not natives) when an all-encompassing collective term is needed.
- Women, youth, aboriginals [and] ethnic communities are all in there, but anglophones aren't mentioned anywhere.
1.1 (Aboriginal) A person belonging to one of the indigenous peoples of Australia.
- When Australia's Aboriginals soaked Morton Bay chestnuts to make them edible, they were washing out a poison, castanospermine, that is today used to attack viruses, including HIV.
- Early in the book, this exchange takes place between the author and his guide to the ways of Australia's Aboriginals, the remarkable Arkady Volchok.
- Well, he started off as a young camel boy with Bill Wade, going into the centre of Australia counting Aboriginals to see how many lived out there.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan