Definition of aboriginal in English:
1(Of human races, animals, and plants) inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.
- Around the world, 70 percent of uranium deposits are located on aboriginal land.
- As a territory born out of the desire for an aboriginal land claims agreement, we are governed as a public government.
- The site will be arranged to evoke the lands where the eleven aboriginal nations in Quebec live.
1.1 (Aboriginal) Of or relating to the Australian Aborigines or their languages.
- Then, I realised the guests were not Indians, but rather Aboriginal Australians.
- Alice Moyle was present at the births of the new discipline of ethnomusicology and the new field of Australian Aboriginal music.
- A quiet, deep pathos surrounds the story of each Aboriginal language in its individual encounter with the modern world.
nounBack to top
1An aboriginal inhabitant of a place.
- Using the aboriginals ' own oral histories, the developer proved that the site had been designated sacred only within the past 10 years.
- Use aboriginals (not natives) when an all-encompassing collective term is needed.
- Women, youth, aboriginals [and] ethnic communities are all in there, but anglophones aren't mentioned anywhere.
1.1 (Aboriginal) A person belonging to one of the indigenous peoples of Australia.
- When Australia's Aboriginals soaked Morton Bay chestnuts to make them edible, they were washing out a poison, castanospermine, that is today used to attack viruses, including HIV.
- Early in the book, this exchange takes place between the author and his guide to the ways of Australia's Aboriginals, the remarkable Arkady Volchok.
- Well, he started off as a young camel boy with Bill Wade, going into the centre of Australia counting Aboriginals to see how many lived out there.
Words that rhyme with aboriginalvirginal • disciplinal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.