- The natural detachment of parts of a plant, typically dead leaves and ripe fruit.More example sentences
- The presence and balance of plant hormones have been shown to affect abscission of leaves, flowers, and immature and mature fruit.
- Ethylene is involved in many biological processes, like fruit ripening, flower and leaf abscission, senescence, many stress acclimations, and growth.
- They produce numerous biological effects including promotion of leaf senescence and abscission, stomatal closure, inhibition of root growth, and germination of non-dormant seeds.
early 17th century: from Latin abscissio(n-), from abscindere, from ab- 'off, away' + scindere 'to cut'.
More definitions of abscissionDefinition of abscission in:
- The British & World English dictionary