1The ability to recognize the pitch of a note or produce any given note; perfect pitch.
- A person with perfect or absolute pitch will find this easier.
- If I had not perfect but absolute pitch as you call it, if I had it as a baby, can I maintain it by taking up music?
- They found he had absolute pitch, and a remarkable memory.
1.1Pitch according to a fixed standard defined by the frequency of the sound vibration.
- In other words, Movable Do abandons any sense of absolute pitch to achieve relative pitch.
- A musician who has mastered Fixed Do and acquired nearly absolute pitch is able to grasp an entire musical phrase at once.
- Now speaking of tone languages and just absolute pitch, it involves relative pitch and noticing intonation contours and all sorts of other complicated things too.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ab·so·lute pitch
Definition of absolute pitch in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.