Definition of absolute value in English:
1 Mathematics The magnitude of a real number without regard to its sign. Also called modulus.
- Ignoring minus signs, thereby taking the absolute value, gives a two-part curve.
- In general, we say that the second component winds monotonically about the first, unknotted, component if the number of maximum points on the diagram equals the absolute value of the linking number.
- In other words, you can safely bet your life on the fact that for your sequence, the bigger N is, the closer the absolute value of the Nth number gets to the Nth power of 1.13198824…
2 technical The actual magnitude of a numerical value or measurement, irrespective of its relation to other values.
- To obtain relative values absolute values were divided by germination percentages obtained in water, and the result was multiplied by 100.
- We use dBm to express absolute values of power relative to a milliwatt.
- Figure 4 shows five-year moving averages of the mean absolute value of the ratio of the current account balance to GDP for twelve countries.
Definition of absolute value in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.