Definition of abstractionism in English:
1The principles and practice of abstract art.
- After the pictorial revolutions of Cubism and abstractionism, it was no longer possible to pretend that surface and structure could unproblematically be melded in the production of a representational picture space.
- And materialism is as much the enemy of art as abstractionism.
- I am convinced that anyone who admires abstractionism will take great pleasure in going deep into Zimmermann's world.
- Example sentences
- So might this hypnotic, janglingly joyous painting, which at once distances itself from the astringent purism of New York's anti-nature abstractionists and predicts the way ahead, be a case of the pupil prophesying the master?
- It's easy to look at the work of great abstractionists of the 20th century and take the view that there is no skill, nothing special, no artistry in their paintings and that any idiot with a paintbrush could do the same.
- He missed out too on the critical polemicising of Clement Greenberg and his acolytes which ensured America sustained its cultural hegemony in the face of the tachistes and British abstractionists.
Pronunciation: /əbˈstrakSH(ə)nəst/noun& adjective
Definition of abstractionism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.