1Intentionally ridiculous or bizarre behavior or character: the absurdism of the Dada movement
More example sentences
- However, the serious subject matter is often played for laughs rather than the absurdism it requires.
- Adams' innovation was to adapt the absurdism of Monty Python to the venue that best suited it.
- He uses various comic conventions such as satire, farce, absurdism, and irony to attack widely divergent cultural philosophies, politics, and ethics.
2The belief that human beings exist in a purposeless, chaotic universe.
- I understand the argument that Kafka's writing and his place in the history of existentialism helped to pave the way for absurdism in theatre, but absurdist plays work best when they make us laugh.
- Mud, River, Stone makes light of reality without transporting us to realms of poetry, philosophy, or absurdism where this would no longer matter.
- Full of witty non-sequiturs and theatre in-jokes, the play has long had an enthusiastic following, but does its existential absurdism survive the leap from the stage to the screen?
Definition of absurdism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.