Definition of absurdism in English:
1Intentionally ridiculous or bizarre behavior or character: the absurdism of the Dada movement
More example sentences
- The satire seems a bit vanilla but it's a family film so I'm not expecting total absurdism.
- As the work proceeds, it begins to transcend its own absurdism.
- But in spite of some of the absurdism of this screenplay, it's really an intimate, fairly direct examination of self-awareness.
2The belief that human beings exist in a purposeless, chaotic universe.
- I understand the argument that Kafka's writing and his place in the history of existentialism helped to pave the way for absurdism in theatre, but absurdist plays work best when they make us laugh.
- Mud, River, Stone makes light of reality without transporting us to realms of poetry, philosophy, or absurdism where this would no longer matter.
- Full of witty non-sequiturs and theatre in-jokes, the play has long had an enthusiastic following, but does its existential absurdism survive the leap from the stage to the screen?
Definition of absurdism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.