Definition of abyssal in English:
1Relating to or denoting the depths or bed of the ocean, especially between about 10,000 and 20,000 feet (3,000 and 6,000 m) down: the genera found in the abyssal North Atlantic
More example sentences
- They are found in every aquatic habitat from the abyssal depths of the ocean to freshwater streams and ponds; a few can even crawl on land for short periods of time.
- Bathyal is defined as pertaining to the ocean bottom between the sublittoral and abyssal zones - from depths of approximately 200 to 400 m.
- Technically, continental shelves are defined as the region of ocean floor between the coast and the shelf-break, where the seafloor steepens into the continental slope and plunges toward the abyssal depths.
1.1 Geology another term for plutonic (sense 1).
- The fluids that emerge may come in bursts when earthquakes occur; fluid flow may therefore repeat episodically over hundreds of thousands of years as abyssal hills are uplifted and spread away from the mid-ocean ridge crest.
- The width of the mountain is 4-6 times greater than that of most abyssal hills.
- The incoming sediments beneath the 3 km deep Oman abyssal plain consist of 3 km of Makran sands that are derived from the north.
Definition of abyssal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia