- The academic environment or community; academia: bridging the gap between industry and academe the groves of academeMore example sentences
- The project, based at Pennsylvania State University, focuses on work and family issues in academe.
- Thus the decision to leave academe often reflected problems in academia, not irresistible temptations outside.
- Student privacy has always been a hot-button issue in academe, and faculty are often on the front lines of this debate.
late 16th century (in the sense 'academy'): from Latin academia, reinforced by Greek Akadēmos (see academy).
More definitions of academeDefinition of academe in:
- The British & World English dictionary