Definition of acanthus in English:
1A herbaceous plant or shrub with bold flower spikes and spiny decorative leaves, native to Mediterranean regions.
- Genus Acanthus, family Acanthaceae: many species
- Then our patch: some of it is paved, there is a frog pond, a fig tree, acanthus, bamboo and cranesbill.
- Planted beneath it, and in the matching raised bed across the runnel, is a collection of bold and textural plants such as abutilon, acanthus, agapanthus, and Tasmanian tree fern.
- Spray artichokes, cynara carduncularus, achillea, lavender, hydrangea, acanthus and eryngiums with snow, glitter or metallic paints available from DIY shops.
2 Architecture A conventionalized representation of an acanthus leaf, used especially as a decoration for Corinthian column capitals.
- The architectural ornament is of that easy and delectable kind which mimics nature: the acanthus leaves of Corinthian capitals, garlands and trophies in the manner of Wren and Grinling Gibbons.
- While the Greeks had used the Corinthian capital with an Ionic entablature, the Romans invented a distinct cornice for the Corinthian order, characterized by large projecting modillions embellished with acanthus leaves.
- The architrave includes a Greek key design and other symbols, and the side archivolts are decorated with acanthus leaves.
Words that rhyme with acanthusagapanthus, clianthus, dianthus, helianthus, polyanthus
Definition of acanthus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan