Definition of accelerator in English:
1.1The device, typically a pedal, that controls the speed of a vehicle’s engine.
- Prius drivers press their accelerator and the vehicle launches in electric mode with the engine coming on around 20 mph.
- If the driver floors the accelerator pedal, the controller delivers the full 96 volts from the batteries to the motor.
- When you come to a halt, the car cuts out after a few seconds to preserve energy; the engine then fires again when your foot returns to the accelerator.
1.2 Physics An apparatus for accelerating charged particles to high velocities.
- Physicists learned most of what they know about the fundamental forces of nature by using larger and larger accelerators to smash subatomic particles together.
- Specializing in accelerators, synchrotron radiation and lasers, each group views these new facilities as a natural development in its respective field.
- Not only do condensed matter physicists use accelerators, but particle physicists use superconductors and solid-state detectors.
1.3A substance that speeds up a chemical process, typically the vulcanization of rubber or the curing of a plastic.
- Aniline is used in the manufacture of a number of products including dyes, pharmaceuticals, antioxidants, and vulcanization accelerators in rubber compounds.
- Symptoms, also caused by rubber accelerators and chemical additives, include redness, itching, crusting, and blisters, resembling the reaction to poison ivy or poison oak.
- The allergic reactions are caused by the presence of residual chemicals, such as accelerators belonging to types of thiuram, thiazoles, and carbonates, which often are used in the manufacture of both latex and synthetic gloves.
Definition of accelerator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan