- 1Happening by chance, unintentionally, or unexpectedly: a verdict of accidental death the damage might have been accidentalMore example sentences
- Jurgis moves downtown to look for a job and gets a chance through an accidental meeting of an old union buddy on his way to work at a machine factory.
- ‘Every single random, accidental death is something that should upset a faith bound up with comfort and ready answers,’ he wrote.
- No longer are you creatures of an accidental happening in an obscure corner of a randomly evolving cosmos.
- 2Incidental; subsidiary: the location is accidental and contributes nothing to the tension between the characters in the poemMore example sentences
- Incidental and accidental speech tones and pacing aren't a consideration in this sort of exercise. Clarity is all.
- So, differences can be accepted only as secondary or accidental characteristics of persons.
- If so, isn't it possible that art is in decline not as part of some grand narrative, but as a accidental and possibly fleeting phenomenon?
- 3 Philosophy (In Aristotelian thought) relating to or denoting properties that are not essential to a thing’s nature.More example sentences
- It is customary, both in everyday speech and in philosophical discussion, to distinguish between the essential and the accidental properties of objects.
- Thus in Aristotle's view, there are accidental phenomena in nature, and they are not subject to scientific knowledge.
- Clarke steadfastly maintained that matter has neither an essential nor an accidental power of self-motion.
nounBack to top
- 1 Music A sign indicating a momentary departure from the key signature by raising or lowering a note.More example sentences
- Students learn to move out of position, cross over, play scale patterns and deal with accidentals, eighth notes, harmonic intervals, switching melody between hands and playing hands together.
- Successful performance of this work requires a moderate to advanced sense of lyrical line, fluid mastery of third octave fingerings and a working knowledge of accidentals, including double sharps (x).
- Some composers frequently add bracketed accidentals in order to clarify complicated passages or chords.
- More example sentences
- Going home from work in Oxford last night I accidentally got on the Bristol train by mistake.
- I don't know if she accidentally picked up the phone or deliberately did that.
- Very drunk, he accidentally pushed her with his kit bag, knocking her off the path and into the river Cam.