Of or relating to birds of a family that includes most diurnal birds of prey other than falcons, New World vultures, and the osprey.
- Family Accipitridae; treated as a subfamily (Accipitrinae) in this sense when the osprey is included in this family
More example sentences
- The primary predators of all flock participants are accipitrine hawks (Accipiter cooperii or A. striatus).
- With so many details to remember, it is understandable that many birders are intimidated by this accipitrine affinity.
- In the research block, portraits of senior members of the Saudi royal family hang on the walls: impassive, accipitrine faces staring down upon the French scientists recruited to save the bird that is a royal obsession.
mid 19th century: from French, from Latin accipiter 'bird of prey'.
Definition of accipitrine in:
- The British & World English dictionary