Definition of acculturate in English:
Assimilate or cause to assimilate a different culture, typically the dominant one: [no object]: those who have acculturated to the US [with object]: the next weeks were spent acculturating the field staff (as adjective acculturated) an acculturated Cherokee
More example sentences
- In Pinon Middle School, we observed that the students who have been raised with traditional Navajo teachings or the students who are almost totally acculturated to the dominant culture are rarely seen for discipline referrals.
- As families acculturate and assimilate they tend to form nuclear families with, occasionally, the addition of an elderly grandparent, and an unmarried adult child.
- Therefore, they usually acculturate and assimilate rather rapidly.
- Example sentences
- These immigrant churches weathered acculturation and assimilation better than other immigrant institutions.
- Since acculturation is ultimately a personal choice, degrees of assimilation will vary from individual to individual.
- There are a few groups that have avoided acculturation and maintained the traditional lifestyle they brought from the homeland.
- Example sentences
- As Scheder found among mobile Mexican laborers, acculturative stress may also have played a role in Pima weight gain and increased incidence of hypertension, two factors in diabetes.
- It was found that adolescents' level of acculturation and acculturative stress did not appear to have a significant influence on their problem behaviors.
- In contrast, ethnic identity conflict, stemming either from acculturative stress or from adolescents' perception of racial discrimination, has a negative effect on adolescents' psychological and behavioral adjustment.
Pronunciation: /-ərətiv, -əˌrātiv/adjective
Definition of acculturate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan