A colorless pungent-smelling hydrocarbon gas, which burns with a bright flame, used in welding and formerly in lighting.
- Alternative name: ethyne; chemical formula: C2H2
More example sentences
- Observers have long known that Titan's atmosphere contains methane, ethane, acetylene and many other hydrocarbon compounds.
- A delicate 24-hour cooling operation saw roads and houses cordoned off as the emergency services tried to prevent the acetylene, propane and oxygen cylinders from exploding in Thornton Heath.
- Acrylonitrile is another product of acetylene, formed in a reaction with hydrogen cyanide.
Definition of acetylene in:
- The British & World English dictionary