Definition of Achaean in English:
- In 224 Antigonus marched south, organized his allies into a Hellenic League under Macedonian presidency, restored Achaean influence in Arcadia and in 222 invaded Laconia.
- Argos was an Achaean city in the Peloponnesus.
- The Achaean soldiers always sacrificed to Zeus.
- He kills almost a dozen Greek captains and the Achaean line begins to flee.
- Apparently particularly prominent in this respect is the North Aegean region, the home of Maron and Euneos's special gift-worthy wines and of the Thracian wine brought daily to Troy for the Achaean army.
- The entire Achaean army is kept well supplied at Troy; Eumaios has plenty of wine in his humble hut; and even plowmen drink wine to refresh themselves in the course of their work.
nounBack to top
- In Thessaly, the original revolt of the slaves occurred because the Thessalians were still at war with the neighbouring Achaeans and Magnesians.
- Philopoemen, the ancient leader of the Achaeans, is the embodiment of a prince who is constantly engaged in military affairs.
- The island's Greek heritage dates back to the Achaeans from southern Greece, who settled there between 2000 and 1600 BC.
- In terms of simple military success, Achilles is 'the best of the Achaeans', or Greeks, but he takes the heroic code of honour to extremes.
- Chryses approached the Achaeans ' fast ships to win his daughter back, bringing a priceless ransom.
- Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.
The Achaeans were among the earliest Greek-speaking inhabitants of Greece, being established there well before the 12th century bc. Some scholars identify them with the Mycenaeans of the 14th-13th centuries bc. The Greek protagonists in the Trojan War are regularly called Achaeans in the Iliad, though this may have referred only to the leaders
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.