A plant of the daisy family, which typically has heads of small white or yellow flowers and fernlike leaves.
- Genus Achillea, family Compositae: numerous species, including the common yarrow
More example sentences
- Backed by a yew hedge are dozens of neatly planted rows of achilleas, euphorbias, iris and violas among others.
- The species achillea, or common yarrow produces white flowers but hybrids now burst into terracotta, yellow, pink and cerise clusters - fabulous against their feathery grey foliage.
- ‘In the past, I have cut my yellow achillea before the flowers have faded, and found that it keeps its colour beautifully when dried,’ Annemarie says.
via Latin from Greek Akhilleios, denoting a plant supposed to have been used medicinally by Achilles.
Definition of achillea in:
- The British & World English dictionary