1The level of acid in substances such as water, soil, or wine.
- In trying to link the acidity of rainfall to the acidity of soils and water it is essential to understand the role that soils play in releasing chemicals into solution as a result of natural weathering.
- Organic farming has many benefits to the environment since it prevents soil and water contamination by chemicals which reduce soil fertility and increase acidity.
- It may grow on sites with varying soil water availability and acidity, as well as at different above-ground light availabilities.
1.1The level of acid in the gastric juices, typically when excessive and causing discomfort.
- Therefore, future clinical solutions may also include pharmacological management of gastric acidity or esophageal reflux in at-risk individuals.
- Excessive acidity and osmotic pressure in the gastric effluent can also retard emptying.
- Duodenal ulcers and gastric ulcers seem to develop along different pathways, involving high and low gastric acidity, respectively.
2The bitterness or sharpness of a person’s remarks or tone: the cutting acidity in his voice
More example sentences
- There was only the slightest bit of acidity in his tone.
- The gravel in the Brooklyn tones, the acidity in the wit and the raucous laugh remind us we are in the presence of one of the most controversial figures in literary history.
- I had to try really, really hard to instil some acidity into my voice.
Words that rhyme with acidityacridity, aridity, avidity, cupidity, flaccidity, fluidity, frigidity, humidity, hybridity, insipidity, intrepidity, limpidity, liquidity, lividity, lucidity, morbidity, placidity, putridity, quiddity, rabidity, rancidity, rapidity, rigidity, solidity, stolidity, stupidity, tepidity, timidity, torpidity, torridity, turgidity, validity, vapidity
Definition of acidity in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.