The occurrence of inflamed or infected sebaceous glands in the skin; in particular, a condition characterized by red pimples on the face, prevalent chiefly among teenagers.
More example sentences
- In fact, androgen levels do not correlate with acne severity among people with acne.
- I have never really suffered from acne, but the skin in these areas is covered in blackheads.
- Anabolic steroids, sometimes used by body-builders, can cause acne as a side-effect.
mid 19th century: via modern Latin from Greek aknas, a misreading of akmas, accusative plural of akmē 'highest point, peak, or facial eruption'; compare with acme.
- More example sentences
- I was paired up with the short, pudgy, acned boy I had stood next to, and Miss Johnson demonstrated the main steps before starting us off.
- One of those clever but acned young men at Central Office has worked out that, after abolishing verbs, the Prime Minister won two landslide election victories.
- The barman, acned and sneaking drinks behind the bar, watches.