Definition of acromegaly in English:
Abnormal growth of the hands, feet, and face, caused by overproduction of growth hormone by the pituitary gland.
- Each of these patients had diseases known to predispose to heterotopic calcification including scleroderma, acromegaly, and diabetes mellitus.
- Octreotide also is given to decrease growth hormone secretion in acromegaly.
- Other nonmalignant endocrine disorders with features of androgen excess include Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, acromegaly and congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
- Example sentences
- The experienced consultant endocrinologist made a spot diagnosis as the couple entered the consulting room and directed his remarks entirely to the husband, who was clearly acromegalic.
- Functional measurements were done at rest, and thus, it is unclear whether DL could increase to a greater extent during exercise in acromegalic patients.
- Scott had been diagnosed at one point as acromegalic, which meant that his body was producing too much growth hormone, but the state was natural, not brought about, by laboratory science.
Definition of acromegaly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.