- An abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA).More example sentences
- A whole language of abbreviated words and acronyms has developed with the huge popularity of the text message.
- There were also plenty of acronyms whose definitions were not just different versions of the same term.
- It's now perfectly acceptable to lowercase a company name, for example, and to create words out of acronyms.
1940s: from Greek akron 'end, tip' + onuma 'name', on the pattern of homonym.
More definitions of acronymDefinition of acronym in:
- The British & World English dictionary