- 1A citadel or fortified part of an ancient Greek city, typically built on a hill.More example sentences
- The actors seldom move: they are like tortured figures on a frieze in a besieged acropolis.
- There are remains of an acropolis located on a hillside with magnificent views.
- On the acropolis is a smaller walled-in area where a ruined Byzantine chapel lies over the foundations of the Temple of Athena.
- 1.1 (the Acropolis) The ancient citadel at Athens, containing the Parthenon and other notable buildings, mostly dating from the 5th century bc.More example sentences
- Pericles was the force behind many of the buildings on the acropolis, including the Parthenon itself.
- If you have the time, you should take a donkey ride up to the ancient acropolis, with its restored Temple of Athena inside the Knights ' Castle.
- The NationalGeographic Society made a generous contribution toward the excavation of the acropolis and the theater.
Greek, from akron 'summit' + polis 'city'.
More definitions of acropolisDefinition of acropolis in:
- The British & World English dictionary