Definition of actinic in English:
1(Of light or lighting) able to cause photochemical reactions, as in photography, through having a significant short wavelength or ultraviolet component.
- This approach can be very cost-effective, since the cost of non-LED based actinic illumination is significantly lower than LED-based illumination.
- These states were detected both by short actinic flashes and by the switching of the actinic illumination level between different stationary state values.
- Leaves were then illuminated with actinic light and saturating flashes of 0.7 s duration were applied every 1.5 min.
1.1Relating to or caused by actinic light: actinic degradation
More example sentences
- Alternative processes are most sensitive to UV light, and since the stain of Pyro developers functions as a highly actinic filter to UV light it follows that the stain can add a lot of effective printing contrast to a negative.
- It is cheap, easy to mix and robust in its ability to produce an effective actinic (UV blocking) stain with no loss of film speed.
- It is important to emphasize that the localization of p53 mutations found in actinic keratoses, NMSC and histologically normal tissue adjacent to tumors parallels the pattern of COX - 2 expression observed in this study.
- Example sentences
- Optical radiation may cause chemical changes in living or non-living materials: this property is called actinism and radiation capable of causing such changes is referred to as actinic radiation.
- The author here suggests the introduction of a useful word, radiance, to express the light, radiant heat, and actinism of the sun, which are evidently modifications of the same form of energy.
- The germination of seeds in the spring is dependent upon the variations in the amount of actinism or chemical influence of light and heat.
Words that rhyme with actinicclinic, cynic, Finnic, Jacobinic, rabbinic
Definition of actinic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.