Definition of actinomycete in English:
A bacterium of an order of typically nonmotile filamentous form. They include the economically important streptomycetes, and were formerly regarded as fungi.
- Order Actinomycetales; Gram-positive
- In the composting process, the tissues of carcasses are broken down aerobically by bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes, and protozoa to produce water vapor, carbon dioxide, heat, and a stabilized organic residue.
- Many antibiotics come from bacteria, actinomycetes, and fungi.
- Actinomycosis is a chronic infection caused by various bacteria called actinomycetes.
Definition of actinomycete in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India