1Full-time service in the police or armed forces.
- In May 1940, the service recalled him to active duty for the wartime emergency.
- You're not allowed to blog about the war critically if you are an active duty serviceman over there.
- But there are nearly three million active duty service men and women and millions more veterans.
1.1The playing of a direct role in the operational work of the police or armed forces as opposed to doing administrative work.
- Officers due for suspension have often in practice remained on active duty at the same police station in which the offence was committed.
- An initial tour in the Army could consist of time spent in the National Guard and on active duty.
- Officers continue on active duty and receive all regular pay and allowances from the Army.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ac·tive du·ty
Definition of active duty in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.