- The seasonally thawed surface layer above permafrost.More example sentences
- A bear can dig an entrance in a peat bank up to 120 cm deep by digging through the active layer into the permafrost and then digging to excavate the main body of the den.
- In streams of both regions, flows peak rapidly for several days as snow and ice melt in late May; then, stream discharge attenuates slowly as the active layer thaws.
- The larger and larger trees indicate that the active layer, which thaws each summer, is deeper and deeper, giving roots of large trees room to grow down.
More definitions of active layerDefinition of active layer in:
- The British & World English dictionary