A system of complementary medicine that involves pricking the skin or tissues with needles, used to alleviate pain and to treat various physical, mental, and emotional conditions. Originating in ancient China, acupuncture is now widely practiced in the West.
More example sentences
- Other useful complementary treatments include acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga and hypnosis.
- He developed his own system of Energy Medicine which was initially based on Chinese acupuncture.
- We can see how acupuncture, homoeopathy and herbalism might be tested.
late 17th century: from Latin acu 'with a needle' + puncture.
- More example sentences
- Chiropractors must become licensed acupuncturists to practice acupuncture.
- Meanwhile, my holistic healer referred me to other complementary medicine practitioners like acupuncturists, massage therapists, energy healers and chakra readers to help me relax and become more focused.
- Acupressure overcomes the need for an acupuncturist to be physically present and I believe its effects to be comparable to any needling treatments.
Definition of acupuncture in:
- The British & World English dictionary